Pen to Print (8 - 12yrs)
|Leicester Print Workshop
|Date & Time
|Thursday 13th April 2023
11.00am - 2.00pm
Dream up characters from ink splodges, the shape of clouds, your granny’s favourite laugh or the bird which sings to you in the morning and learn how to illustrate them through drawing, printmaking and collage, tell a story and make your own story book.
You will learn how to:
- Design an animal character for a picturebook story
- Prepare colourful monoprinted papers using a gelli plate, ink and markmaking tools
- Fold and cut a dummy book to use for your story
- Introduction to character design for picturebooks
- Shape game - finding characters in ink
- Creating ideas for animal characters
- Demo of using a gelli plate, system 3 acrylics, drawing inks and markmaking tools to create textured collage papers
- Making collage papers
- Designing and making characters thinking about shape and feeling
- Dummy books, what are they, why make them? Demo of making an A4 book from 2 sheets of A1 paper
- Making A4 dummy books to work in at home
- Clean up
- Sharing of characters and story ideas with each other
Katie Brosnan works as a children's book illustrator, printmaker and educator. Much of her work is playful and she advocates messy thinking and improvised ways into sequence and story. She is inspired by joyful colour palettes, mid century illustration and folk artists. Katie achieved an MA in Children’s Book Illustration from the Cambridge School of Art in 2018. She was one of the UK winners in the ‘Picture This!’ Competition and highly commended in the Macmillan prize for Illustration in the same year. She also holds a BA degree in Fine Art. Her illustration and use of colour comes from a love of printmaking, in particular screen-printing, monoprint and experimenting with techniques. When she isn’t drawing, printmaking or working on books, she teaches further and higher education students as a lecturer in art and design.
Leicester Print Workshop
Leicester Print Workshop is the regional development centre for printmaking. Established by artists in 1986, we are a registered charity, supported by Arts Council England. Our RIBA award-winning building is situated in Leicester City Centre's Cultural Quarter and is home to a large, well equipped open access Printmaking Studio.
We have over 30 years’ experience of teaching people printmaking. Our programme offers the largest number and broadest range of printmaking courses in the region, with courses suitable for beginners as well as experienced printmakers, delivered by practicing artists and nationally renowned tutors. Participants learn in small and friendly groups in our purpose-designed studio.
Online: You can book online here by credit / debit card or Paypal.
Telephone: You can pay by card over the phone during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm). Call us on 0116 251 4174.
In person: Call in to Leicester Print Workshop during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm) to book and pay by card, cash or cheque.
Pre-course information: We will send you details of how to find us and what to bring with you when we process your booking.