Learning to Play in the World of Print
|Location||Leicester Print Workshop|
|Date & Time||
Saturday 8th October 2022
10.00am - 4.00pm
|Tutor||Claire Morris Wright|
Printmaking as a process is riddled with laws and rules - let's rip up a few of these rules and make new ones through experimentation and play.
During the day we will break down some of these restrictions and find out what can be discovered by creating work that is not directed by process. Working as a group, and learning from each other's work, we will question the tight doctrines of printmaking. Be prepared for experimentation, failure and success!
As well as exploring a more fluid approach to printmaking, this is an opportunity to cut up old prints/plates and also print over old artwork. We will have new paper, newspaper, old books, tissue and scrap available for layering and collage.
- Examples of work shared by tutor with discussions about planning before you print - wet/dry paper - papers and use of - thinking around issues of ‘not thinking’ - unique prints V editions and the politics of materials used.
- Mono printing session with assorted papers, old plates/prints and cadfoil.
- Coffee and print sharing 'show and tell’ as a group - everyone is encouraged to bring at least 4 pieces of work to share with the group.
- Solutions, solving, sharing and support discussion where we consider ideas and issues for development.
Lunch (please bring your own)
- Leading on from our mornings work we will explore the mixing of plates, processes & papers using prints from the mornings session or existing prints as well as collaging, chin colle’ and overlaying old and new work.
- Through the day there will be guided and supported demonstrations of mono print, intaglio and relief lino, collagraph making, inking up onto etching and litho plates. There will also be encouragement for the group to skill share with fluid evaluation.
- Complete work, tidy up and clean workshop.
About the Tutor
Claire Morris-Wright is a contemporary Fine Artist living and working in rural Northamptonshire. Her work has grown through a wide range of different art media including ceramics, drawing, textile and printmaking. In all of these she tests and stretches the limits of the different media to facilitate her viewpoints that emerge predominantly from an encounter with landscape.
The struggle between the visual and sensual experience of the landscape and the inner sensibilities that they evoke is played out in the experimentation with different media. It is this that forms the substance of her work. Claire was involved in setting up the Knighton Lane artist studios and later became a founding member of Leicester Print Workshop.
As a practicing Artist, Curator and Educator Claire worked for Nottingham Castle Museum and Art Gallery and Leicester's The City Gallery. Her own work has continued to develop exhibiting widely and participating in large shows which include A4 Print and Margate. In 2016 Claire was awarded funding from Arts Council England to run The Hedge Project.
Online: You can book online here by credit / debit card or Paypal.
Telephone: You can pay by card over the phone during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm). Call us on 0116 251 4174.
In person: Call in to Leicester Print Workshop during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm) to book and pay by card, cash or cheque.
Pre-course information: We will send you details of how to find us and what to bring with you when we process your booking.
Full-Print Members of Leicester Print Workshop are entitled to a 10% discount on our inhouse courses. Interested in joining LPW as a member? Click here for more information.