Surface Design Textile Weekend
|Location||Leicester Print Workshop|
|Date & Time||Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th November
10.00am - 4.00pm
"I enjoyed the atmosphere, the teacher Alex was very patient, enthusiastic and very knowledgeable and her teaching skills helped me to understand things quickly"
For textiles enthusiasts everywhere!
A weekend to explore and combine colour with surface manipulation to create a variety of fun and textural fabric samples.
A real one stop shop for those textile artists wishing to create colourful, layered work full of excitement and texture. Combining traditional screenprint onto fabric you will learn how to add lots of different surface techniques that will supply you with years of exciting ways to create your images.
Fine for both intermediate or beginners.
- Experiment with disperse dyes by painting backgrounds / imagery and transfer (by heatpress) onto fabric. Also, collage with pre painted disperse papers to create fabrics with a monoprint feel.
- Expose a simple two layer hand drawn design onto a pre coated screen.
- Using a combination of screen and hand cut stencils, apply adhesives for flocking and foiling
- Learn how to layer disperse dyes and heatpress techniques.
- Introduction to the course.
- Using disperse dyes create a variety of fabrics using stencils, pre-painted dye papers, wet dyes and found materials.
- Heatpress these designs onto fabric to create 'grounds' to be embellished upon.
- Experiment with colour.
- Create a 2 layer hand drawn design from your own imagery, ready to be exposed onto the screen for the next day.
- Draw out the design onto drafting film.
- Coat screens in preparation for the next day.
- Expose design onto screen.
- Demo showing the surface embellishment techniques (flock, foil and puff) also include new techniques such as metallic binder and opaque binders.
- Experiment using all these embellishment techniques on top of the fabrics made previously.
- Opportunity to use the variety of techniques learned during the course to layer and print your design on top of samples and textile fabrics created in Day One.
About the Tutor
Alex Palmer graduated from Loughborough University in 2010 with a 2:1 BA Honours in Printed Textiles Design. Currently working at De Montfort University in the Printed and Dyeing Textiles department, Alex works closely with students introducing a variety of printing/dyeing techniques to enable the students to further develop their work.
Alex also produces dyed/printed textiles outside of her usual work to keep her inspired and on trend with what is happening in the textiles industry.
Leicester Print Workshop
Leicester Print Workshop is the regional development centre for printmaking. Established by artists in 1986, we are a registered charity, supported by Arts Council England. Our RIBA award-winning building is situated in Leicester City Centre's Cultural Quarter and is home to a large, well equipped open access Printmaking Studio.
We have over 30 years’ experience of teaching people printmaking. Our programme offers the largest number and broadest range of printmaking courses in the region, with courses suitable for beginners as well as experienced printmakers, delivered by practicing artists and nationally renowned tutors. Participants learn in small and friendly groups in our purpose-designed studio.
Online: You can book online here by credit / debit card or Paypal.
Telephone: You can pay by card over the phone during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm). Call us on 0116 251 4174.
In person: Call in to Leicester Print Workshop during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm) to book and pay by card, cash or cheque.
Pre-course information: We will send you details of how to find us and what to bring with you when we process your booking.
Full-Print Members of Leicester Print Workshop are entitled to a 10% discount on our inhouse courses. Interested in joining LPW as a member? Click here for more information.