Press / Dye: Adventures with Textile Surfaces
|Location||Leicester Print Workshop|
|Date & Time||Saturday 4th July
10.00am - 4.00pm
An exciting day to explore the more experimental areas of textiles printmaking. Using heatpress techniques ranging from disperse dyes to flocking and foiling, embellish fabrics and add texture to create one off pieces of textile art.
- Welcome and introduction to the days activities.
- Look at artwork to expose onto pre coated screens.
- Expose designs.
- Demo of how to use disperse dyes, either by painting or collage.
- Look at layering of colours to create exciting textiles backgrounds.
- Explore the possibilities of disperse dyes and create some fabric patterns.
- Demo including how to print using your exposed screen and textile adhesive used for flocking and foiling. Puff binder will also be shown using hand cut stencils.
- Printing onto your disperse dyed grounds, embellish these designs to create unique textiles works of art.
About the Tutor
Alex Palmer graduated from Loughborough University in 2010 with a 2:1 BA Honours in Printed Textiles Design. Currently working at De Montfort University in the Printed and Dyeing Textiles department, Alex works closely with students introducing a variety of printing/dyeing techniques to enable the students to further develop their work.
Alex also produces dyed/printed textiles outside of her usual work to keep her inspired and on trend with what is happening in the textiles industry.
Leicester Print Workshop
Leicester Print Workshop is the regional development centre for printmaking. Established by artists in 1986, we are a registered charity, supported by Arts Council England. Our RIBA award-winning building is situated in Leicester City Centre's Cultural Quarter and is home to a large, well equipped open access Printmaking Studio.
We have over 30 years’ experience of teaching people printmaking. Our programme offers the largest number and broadest range of printmaking courses in the region, with courses suitable for beginners as well as experienced printmakers, delivered by practicing artists and nationally renowned tutors. Participants learn in small and friendly groups in our purpose-designed studio.
Online: You can book online here by credit / debit card or Paypal.
Telephone: You can pay by card over the phone during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm). Call us on 0116 251 4174.
In person: Call in to Leicester Print Workshop during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm) to book and pay by card, cash or cheque.
Pre-course information: We will send you details of how to find us and what to bring with you when we process your booking.
Full-Print Members of Leicester Print Workshop are entitled to a 10% discount on our inhouse courses. Interested in joining LPW as a member? Click here for more information.