The Grid as a Mode of Depiction
|Location||Leicester Print Workshop|
|Date & Time||Sunday 24th March
10.00am - 4.00pm
Composing type most commonly is done by working from grids and boxes. On this day course you will learn the ways to translate your image or drawing to a letterpress 'forme' and print it using Letterpress borders.
You will learn registration techniques for letterpress, how to print from your ‘forme’ using a galley press and feel confident that you can continue to create more intricate designs on your own. A day of discovery and playful use of the Letterpress type to create unique visual art.
- Learn how to ink and print from your forme
- Learn to register
- Print 1st Colour
- Print 2nd Colour
- Diss type back, and clean up.
- Opportunity for discussion on further techniques.
- An introduction to the techniques, and processes used throughout the day, looking at the basic maths of letterpress and creating a matrix to use for the rest of the day - drawings and images will be decided at this point.
- The printing begins... Participants will be shown how to print from their formes and learn the methods of registration necessary to develop the process. Participants will go home with a 2-colour letterpress print that they have print themselves and the knowledge to continue to the technique.
About the Tutor
Theo Miller is a visual artist and printmaker, born in Leicester. He gained a first class degree in Fine Art from De Montfort University in 2014. Miller is currently living and working in Leicester as an Artist and also as a Technician for both Leicester Print Workshop and De Montfort University.
Printmaking, for Miller is an axis, a locus. He describes the beauty of printmaking to be that the final image is always affected by, and integral to the process itself. Miller is currently focusing on Letterpress, after being granted the Print Futures Award 2017.
Online: You can book online here by credit / debit card or Paypal.
Telephone: You can pay by card over the phone during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm). Call us on 0116 251 4174.
In person: Call in to Leicester Print Workshop during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm) to book and pay by card, cash or cheque.
Pre-course information: We will send you details of how to find us and what to bring with you when we process your booking.
Full-Print Members of Leicester Print Workshop are entitled to a 10% discount on our inhouse courses. Interested in joining LPW as a member? Click here for more information.