Contemplating Design: Colour and Composition
|Location||Leicester Print Workshop|
|Date & Time||Saturday 30th March
10.00am - 4.00pm
An inspiring day looking specifically at producing a 2 layered screen printed textiles design. Using your own drawing skills and mark making techniques, create a multi-directional A3 print, that captures your own personal aesthetic whilst learning about colour and composition.
Creating your own design, learn how to expose it onto a screen and then use it to print onto fabric. Explore a variety of heatpress techniques such as foiling, flocking, puff binder and disperse dyes to embellish designs and introduce different surfaces and textures. Experiment with open screens to look at how to layer designs and colour to produce diverse samples. Participants will leave the course with a variety of textile samples.
- Introduction to the course and discuss the intended outcomes for the day. Look at inspiration for textiles designs, regarding composition and colour.
- Using the artwork, you have brought along as a starting point, begin to create multi directional print design to A3 size, consisting of 2 colour layers.
- Hand draw your design onto acetate considering the use of line and mark making to create an interesting textural design. Learn to register the 2 layers.
- Using pre coated large screens, expose finished designs using the exposure unit and prepare to print. Mix fabric print pastes in your colour palette using primary colours only.
- Demonstration of how to print and register your layers.
- Print final designs onto calico fabric.
About the Tutor
Alex Palmer graduated from Loughborough University in 2010 with a 2:1 BA Honours in Printed Textiles Design. Currently working at De Montfort University in the Printed and Dyeing Textiles department, Alex works closely with students introducing a variety of printing/dyeing techniques to enable the students to further develop their work.
Alex also produces dyed/printed textiles outside of her usual work to keep her inspired and on trend with what is happening in the textiles industry.
Online: You can book online here by credit / debit card or Paypal.
Telephone: You can pay by card over the phone during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm). Call us on 0116 251 4174.
In person: Call in to Leicester Print Workshop during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm) to book and pay by card, cash or cheque.
Pre-course information: We will send you details of how to find us and what to bring with you when we process your booking.
Full-Print Members of Leicester Print Workshop are entitled to a 10% discount on our inhouse courses. Interested in joining LPW as a member? Click here for more information.