Etching Using Sugar Lift Day
|Location||Leicester Print Workshop|
|Date & Time||Sunday 26th August
10.00am - 4.00pm.
Sugar lift etching is suitable for those who are new to Etching or those who wish to develop their practice.
Sugar lift is a spontaneous, free and painterly technique which can be used to apply tone to an existing image or as a stand alone technique with equally beautiful results.
You will be working on zinc plate and exploring the possibilities of direct markmaking with etching.
About the Tutor
Sally Stephens is an artist educator based in Northamptonshire. She makes prints using etching, drypoint and monoprinting. She studied printmaking at Central St Martins School of Art and completed an MA at Northampton University in 2002. Sally has worked as a freelance workshop provider for over 14 years, working in a variety of settings including schools and projects involving community groups.
- Introduction to the technique
- Learn how to clean and prepare the zinc plate
- Apply the saturated sugar solution to the plate using brushes. The essential characteristic of this technique is that it allows the artist to achieve positive printed areas where the sugar solution is brushed
- Apply varnish layer and learn how to lift the sugar solution to expose the brushed marks
- Apply an aquatint which is a resin dust that creates tone on an etching plate
- Etch the plate. Learn how to create a range of tones
- Learn how to ink and print your plates
- Tidy up and view prints
Three Day Etching Course Offer
We have a limited number of spaces available to participants who want to book on to all three of our Bank Holiday Etching courses: Hard & Soft Ground Etching, Etching Using Sugar Lift & Copper Etching. All three courses can be booked together for £204, a saving of 15%. Book here
Online: You can book online here by credit / debit card or Paypal.
Telephone: You can pay by card over the phone during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm). Call us on 0116 251 4174.
In person: Call in to Leicester Print Workshop during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm) to book and pay by card, cash or cheque.
Pre-course information: We will send you details of how to find us and what to bring with you when we process your booking.
Full-Print Members of Leicester Print Workshop are entitled to a 10% discount on our inhouse courses. Interested in joining LPW as a member? Click here for more information.